Thursday, October 9, 2014

Review: Off You Go: A Novella by Boo Walker

Off You Go: A Novella


Off You Go
Boo Walker
Print Length: 71 pages
Publisher: Sandy Run Press
Published: April 1, 2014
Source: Author
GoodreadsAmazon

In Charleston, SC, a young woman has jumped off the Cooper River Bridge. She left a suicide note in her abandoned car. There were witnesses. But her mother doesn’t buy it and hires Dewey Moses, the vegetable farmer and sometime private investigator to find out the truth. Dewey finds out quickly that sometimes it’s best to leave things alone.

Review

Y’all, I hate to do this, but I’ve got a couple complaints about this one.  Off You Go is too short!  And, because it’s so short, the story comes to an abrupt halt…and I still have questions!

I am absolutely in love with Dewey Moses!  He’s got a jaded past, but is working on getting his life back in order.  He’s broken, but being repaired.  There’s an honesty and realness that I like about him.  He’s a fine addition to Walker’s cast of leading men.  I like his getting-back-to-his-roots-and-nature lifestyle.  He’s laid back and easy to like.  If Dewey were an actual person, I think he’d be an excellent friend.

I do wish there was more to the story.  That’s a common problem I have with novellas—that they just don’t have enough time to really develop and flesh-out the characters and plot line.  I didn’t feel like I was able to invest in the story or that it’s completely resolved.  Yet in the time allowed, Walker creates a compelling story that will get you hooked immediately.  I didn’t want it to end!

I can only hope that Walker writes more books with Dewey Moses as the main character.  I’ve read everything Walker has written, and plan to read everything he writes in the future!

rating 4 of 5
4 out of 5 (only because OYG ends too quickly!)

richard signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the comment love!