Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: The Last Keeper's Daughter by Rebecca Trogner

The Last Keeper's Daughter

The Last Keeper’s Daughter
Rebecca Trogner
Paperback: 280 pages
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press
Release Date: February 10, 2013
ISBN-10: 1939173116
ISBN-13: 978-1939173119
Goodreads   Amazon
Source: Author

Born into old money, Lily Ayres lives at Waverly, her family’s estate situated at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Paris, Virginia. She is a strange, small, almost mute, young woman who has no idea that her father has given her to the Vampire King Krieger. Walter Ayres is the King’s Keeper and part of a secret society of historians who unearth, preserve, and attempt to understand relics of long forgotten civilizations.

Lily has never felt comfortable in the human world, but after she suspiciously falls down a flight of stone steps, and is healed and claimed by Krieger, she realizes there is another world. In this Other Realm she feels a sense of belonging, and begins to untwine the mysterious event which left her mentally and psychologically damaged. When Walter disappears in England, Lily works with human and supernatural beings to uncover his whereabouts. With each new discovery, she is pulled deeper into the vortex of magic, intrigue, and dark desires that permeates the supernatural world. The revelations revealed unfold a story of deception and betrayal that threaten to tear the thin veil between the supernatural and human world asunder.

Review

I was on book tour for The Last Keeper’s Daughter back in February with an excerpt and giveaway. After reading the excerpt I knew I wanted to read this book!

“Do you want me, Lily?”
“I don’t know what I want.” It was the honest truth.
“I could force you.” He held up his hand. “I could bend your body to my will with one finger.”
She wasn’t afraid that he’d hurt her. “That’s not what you want.”
His arm fell to his side. “True.” He looked sad.
She hoped he didn’t expect a response, because she was too stunned by the conversation to think of anything to say.
“You’re pure, and clean, and light. I’ve killed men, and women, and children. I was a soldier long before I became a vampire. Is it possible for you to love a creature such as me?” Krieger didn’t wait for a response. “I’ve overwhelmed you, haven’t I?” His smile was kind. “You have nothing to fear from me. Come.” He held his hand out to her.
Like the night they met, she slipped her hand into his.
Doesn't this sound like a romance you want to read happen??? Yeah! Me too.
 
This totally sounded like a paranormal romance I could devour in a few hours… And that is halfway what happened.
 
The first half of The Last Keeper’s Daughter was hard to get through. I would continually have to read pages and paragraphs over trying to understand the story better, or to figure out what character was speaking. I honestly think that one or two more edits and this could have been cleared up because the second half of the book was so fast and a pleasure to read.
 
I didn’t care for Lily at all when I first started reading, but as the story progressed I found myself intrigued by all the mystery surrounding her. I liked that Lily had so much character growth from such a quiet girl in the beginning to a woman who took an active role in her own life by the end of TLKD.
 
Krieger I liked right from the get go. Um, hello… Badass vampire king, how could I not love his character?!?! Krieger is also very good at what he does. He knows how to deal with all the… Um, “people” under him to keep peace amongst everyone. Introducing Lily to all the different rules of her new life doesn’t always go so smoothly,but he does his best to protect her.  
 
From the romance that I enjoyed, to side characters that I would love to read more about, I did enjoy The Last Keeper’s Daughter. After the first part of the story this became a real page turner and if Rebecca Trogner writes more in this world I will definitely want to read it.
 
Happy reading,
Signature  

3 Moons

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Thank you for the review! FYI - Book 2 in The Last Keeper's Daughter series is with the editor now. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!