Sunday, September 7, 2014

Review: Tempting the Beast by Lora Leigh

Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1)

Tempting The Beast
Lora Leigh
Series: Breeds #1
Paperback: 264 pages
Publisher: Ellora's Cave Publishing
Published: July 25, 2008
Source: Library
GoodreadsAmazon

Callan Lyons is a genetic experiment. One of six fighting for freedom and the survival of their Pride. Merinus Tyler is the reporter who will tempt him, draw him, until the fury of the "mating frenzy" locks them into a battle of sexual heat there is no escape from.
Deception, blood, and the evil Genetics Council are hot on their trail. Callan will use his strength to try and save them both...and do all in his power to keep his woman in the process.

Review

One night I was searching for a new shifter PNR to read, specifically a new shifter PNR series because I generally pop through PNR like candy. I came across Tempting The Beast in my search. I honestly have no idea how I had never heard of the Breeds series before. This series all ready has like 30 installments… How I missed hearing about a series that long running I will never know. Now let’s get to the good, the bad, and the ugly (Um, did you see the coverWinking smile).

The good

Though I did find Tempting the Beast while searching for shifter books this is not quite a shifter book. The characters so far in this series don’t shift into animals, (though they do have some cool big cat traits) and I don’t think that is something that will be happening. Callan (Main male lead.), and his “pride” are genetic experiments. I liked this twist into the paranormal/scifi link. I don’t really know who is behind all these evil experiments that created Callan and those like him other than the vague references we get about the pride hiding from the Council that created them. The mystery behind what the Council is and what or who else they have created kept my interest piqued throughout the read.
I feel like Leigh did a good job at making Tempting the Beast a platform for continuing stories within this world without completely loosing the original story that was being told. The romance and relationship between Callan and Merinus (Lead female) was ok, but I have to say I did find myself rolling my eyes at times at just how predictable they were, but this is PNR. I don’t want to spoil anything if you plan on giving this a try but Tempting the Beast did remind me a bit of the BDBH when a certain female went into needing… I will say no more, and if you didn’t get that reference it’s not really important.
The not so good

I would have liked more of a back story in Merinus. I feel like if I would have gotten a little more of this cool lead I could have connected and liked her more, instead of only getting her character when she is under stress. Also, don’t get me wrong I like my smexy times in my romance reads… But there needs to be a balance. This for me was to much sex and not enough relationship building. Yes, I do know Merinus and Callan where in the mating frenzy or whatever, but come on, I got to the point that I was just skipping the sex scenes. 
Should you get a copy?

If you love paranormal romance, are looking for something a little different, and don’t mind a lot of graphic sex I say give this a shot. Now I will say this is not something I will be re-reading but I think I will give the next book in the series a try. I am very interested in where all the setup of this book will lead.

rating 2 of 5

This was a quick read that piqued my interest in what is to come for these characters in the future, but I wouldn't stay up too late reading it. 

Happy Reading
405963466341715050814

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lora Leigh has written with "Tempting the Beast: Feline Breeds 1," probably the steamiest novel I have ever read. And the author writes well. She has talent. Her characters are well defined and very sympathetic, and her imagination is amazing. I highly recommend this novel for fans of "romantica" and erotica. I certainly plan to read more of Lora Leigh's books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!