Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1) by Amanda Hocking

image

Description


When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of. (Goodreads)

Book Details

Genre: YA, Fantasy
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 354 KB
Print Length: 330 pages
ISBN: 1453688935 
ASIN: B003VD1GBA
Source: Self Bought


Review


Amanda Hocking is self-published and you can get this book for .99 on Amazon.com, however it is worth more than a dollar. There are errors throughout the book, it could have used one more edit for grammar, but it didn’t bother me that much and I am all for supporting good indie authors.
 
Wendy should have had everything she wanted or needed, but her mother tries to kill her on her sixth birthday, guess she shouldn’t have complained about the cake, and ends up in a mental institution. She is raised by her brother Matt and Aunt Maggie, who are very protective and try to make up for having a suck-tastic mother. They move around a lot, because Wendy has trouble fitting in pretty much everywhere. Then in her newest school, she notices the even newer kid staring at her all the time, which would be Finn; tall, dark and handsome. After her first school dance, which didn’t go well, Finn shows up outside her bedroom window to tell her…she is a ….Troll.
 
Trolls live in a secluded area in Minnesota and prefer to be called Trylle. They look like normal people, but they have frizzy, hard- to- manage hair, are very intelligent, have quick tempers and don’t like wearing shoes (I fit that description, maybe I’m a troll). They are also very picky eaters, they only like natural food and seem to be some kind of vegetarians. Wendy mentions eating like a vegan, but I have a hard time imagining trolls that don’t eat any type of animal or using any animal products. Which is something I had a hard time with in the book… when I think trolls, I think Shrek; green, big feet , bad teeth and all that. It was hard to re-imagine the troll image, but hopefully this series can give a different side to trolls…um Trylle.
 
Things don’t get any better once Wendy ends up in Forening, the Trylle town, because she clashes with their way of life and whole system of hierarchy, which is bad, seeing as she is the Princess.
 
I liked the book and found the story engaging, but I didn’t really care for Wendy. I thought she was wimpy and self-involved, but she is a teenager and I was pretty self-involved when I was her age. The supporting cast of characters (Matt, Rhys, Willa) made up for Wendy’s flaws. I loved Tove and I can’t wait to see how his abilities work out in the story. I liked Tove so much that I want him to be Wendy’s love interest. I am going to read the rest of the series, because I’ve got to know what happens to everyone. Even with flaws it was a good book and I will be keeping my eye on Amanda Hocking.
 
Happy Endings,
Kelly
 
4 moons
4 moons: I loved it. It's reread worthy.
 

Recommended For

Teens and Adults: Some cussing and over use of the word “foxy”.

Other Books in this Series


imageimage

5 comments:

  1. You lost me at errors and grammar. I just can't do it. Glad you can get past it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just am not a fan of this author. She has some original ideas (trolls and their society) but her female characters need a lot of work. Glad you enjoyed this, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really interesting!! I never would have thought about a story on trolls! I think World of Warcraft trolls which are...well..not humanish at all :) I need an ereader and I think I'll look into this! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I get my TBR pile twiddled down some I want to read this!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of you that were put off by errors in the text...Amanda has signed with St. Martin's publishing and they will be re-releasing the newly edited books in eformat and paperback. It's the same story, just more polished and widely available. If you want to know more about it visit her blog: http://www.amandahocking.blogspot.com/.

    You can still get the 2nd and 3rd books in the trilogy for 2.99 until August 5th. She has already taken Switched down, but it should back up in a few months.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!