Thursday, October 4, 2012

Guest Review: Blood and Guitars by Heather Jensen

I am very excited to have Cana here today with a review! Not only do I follow her blog, Place of Reads, but she is one of my real life friends:) Whenever we get together at some point the conversation always goes to what books we are enjoying at the moment. It’s nice to have people outside the internet that you can do that with!

Blood and Guitars (Blood and Guitars, #1)

Title: Blood and Guitars
Author: Heather Jensen
Paperback: 358 pages
Release Date: August 17, 2011
ISBN-10: 1463511884
ISBN-13: 978-1463511883
Goodreads   Amazon

When Aurora meets Trey, a famous singer and musician, she's only hoping to get her fill of human blood for the week. The last thing Aurora expects is for Trey to make her feel alive for the first time since she was, well, alive. It begins with a casual painting lesson at her art studio, The Waking Moon, and quickly turns into a forbidden romance. Aurora is forced to hide her true identity from Trey, while keeping her relationship with the human a secret from other vampires in her Brood.

Trey's band is recording a new album and with Aurora as his muse, Trey is writing songs like never before. After being hired by their record label to paint the cover of the new album, Aurora has a legitimate reason for spending so much time with Trey and his band mates. Aurora can't deny the unexpected connection she has with Trey, which is fueled by glimpses into his emotions every time they share a kiss. Caught between two worlds, Aurora must attend celebrity award shows and vampire rituals, find time to feed, and protect Trey from the dangers of the night, all while preserving her secrets.

Review

So meet Aurora, a vampire who is an artist- a painter to be exact- who is a bit rebellious. She one night is looking for her next meal (i.e., blood), when she meets Trey - A rock star-, and instead of making him dinner, she starts dating him. In the process of trying to hide this from the other vamps and trying to keep her vamp secret from Trey, you get to see how secrets can lead to trouble... Sometimes more than you can bite.
 
When I started reading it, I was instantly draw to Aurora... I mean, who doesn't love a painting vampire (giving a point to show they have a soul). I like how Ms. Jensen creates her own type of vampire. They can go into the sun (No they do not sparkle!), garlic isn't a problem, and yes they have special talents (but those are only available when the moon is out at night). Trey is a down to earth rock star (that seems a bit unbelievable compared to the vampires :P), and he instantly falls for Aurora. For him it was love at first sight, though they both didn't really know it. Thankfully, it wasn't made as an easy romance, but it gave a lot of great potential for what was coming towards the end.
 
The movement of the first half of the book is like a quick dance, you are constantly trying to follow the music, the movement of the book. It is from two POV, which alternates depending on what is going on.
 
As a whole, this book was very good. Unfortunately for me it either needed to end when she revealed her vampirism or it needed to have a clean conclusion. It kind of left me hanging, and I hate books that leave me hanging.  It is a good book, and I think if you like music, vampires, and painting, this book might be right up your alley.
 
Happy Reading,
Cana
 
 
About this Blogger
 

I'm Cana Elene, and I'm a superhero who loves to read books.  No, really.  I work two jobs, where by day I am a church secretary and by night I'm an alarm dispatcher.  I just don't have a cool costume.  I read whenever, where ever, and however I can.

I have always loved books.  From a young age, I would read anything that I could get my hands on.  I would sneak the flashlight to read after the "lights out" call from my parents. Minus the giving up sleep to read, my parents encouraged my growing book habit.  I grew up reading Nancy Drew, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hardy Boys, and many other books.  As an adult, I will still give up sleep to read, and I still keep a flashlight read, for just in case of a power outage.  My library is still growing, not only physically but also with e-books now. 

Currently, I read paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and YA Paranormal/Fantasy.

Follow Cana:
Blog ~ twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+

7 comments:

  1. Thank you to Bending The Spine, and to Cana for this review. I'm thrilled that Blood And Guitars is taking even a small part in the Spooking The Spine event. Halloween is my absolute favorite time of year, and I appreciate the opportunity to be included in this way. Thank you!
    @theedgeofwords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather,
      I would love to have you any time:)

      Delete
  2. Wow, Becca, this blogger seems so cool ;-P
    Thanks for letting me post!
    Cana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really cool :) I love any character with an artistic element to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this! I haven't read many vampire books staring female vampires and human men. Thanks for sharing the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You kneow come to think of it... I haven't read many like that myself, Paig

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comment love!