Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters

Bedbugs

Description


FOR RENT: Top two floors of beautifully renovated brownstone, 1300 sq. ft., 2BR 2BA, eat-in kitchen, one block to parks and playgrounds. No broker’s fee.
 
Susan and Alex Wendt have found their dream apartment.
 
Sure, the landlady is a little eccentric. And the elderly handyman drops some cryptic remarks about the basement. But the rent is so low, it’s too good to pass up.
 
Big mistake. Susan soon discovers that her new home is crawling with bedbugs . . . or is it? She awakens every morning with fresh bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter Emma has a single welt. An exterminator searches the property and turns up nothing. The landlady insists her building is clean. Susan fears she’s going mad—until a more sinister explanation presents itself: she may literally be confronting the bedbug problem from Hell. (Goodreads)
 

Book Details

Title: Bedbugs
Author: Ben H. Winters
Genre: Horror, Paranormal
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Quirk Books
Release Date: September 6, 2011
ISBN-10: 1594745234
ISBN-13: 978-1594745232
Source: Publisher

Review


Well, I know for a fact I will not be able to sleep with my pillow for at least a week!  Shoot, I don’t even know if I can sleep in my bed tonight! The bedbugs might get me! And, let me just say right now, I have never been more thankful in my life to not have a landlord.

Bedbugs has a slow build through the first half. I was starting to wonder if the mother (Susan) wasn’t just going crazy. To me she had a pretty easy life: she sort-of worked from home, she has one three year old daughter, she has a nanny, and her husband does all the cooking. So you know I’m all about jumping into this girl's life, until it gets to about the middle of the book… then bedbugs start to appear. Let me say this now I am so scared of bedbugs!

These are not your run of the mill bedbugs. Even though that would be bad enough! Oh no. “All bedbugs are not created equal…" These are the bedbugs from hell and it will take more than an exterminator to get rid of them. If you happen to be an exterminator pray you aren’t the one called in for this job. Want to know why? Read the book.

Bedbugs had me itching, biting my nails, and checking my pillow for those little pests. Not that I’ll be using that pillow any time soon. Thanks a lot, Mr. Winters.

Happy Reading,
Rebecca

4 moons
4 moons: I loved it. It's reread worthy.

Recommended For

Adults: For language, and violence.

7 comments:

  1. OOOO - sounds good! Lately I'm all about the creepy and this sounds like it would fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if I'll be able to handle it, but I'm going to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha is it that bad? I'm terrified to read this book but I feel like I *have* to! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WELL. I won the book from you and I'm afraid to read it. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amber EliseLOL You may get an itch, but it's worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hate bed bugs really dam!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!