Monday, February 25, 2013

Review: The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back by Sariah Wilson

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back
Title: The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back
Author: Sariah Wilson
Print Length: 224 pages
Publisher: Fire & Ice Books (August 15, 2012)
ASIN: B008YIE740
Source: Own

Everyone knows how all those fairy tales go. The princess gets beautiful, nabs her prince, falls instantly in love, lives happily ever after and leaves her evil stepsisters in the dust.

But what happens when you’re the ugly stepsister and your obnoxiously perfect—read pretty, smart, and, worst of all, sickeningly nice—stepsister is dating the charming, tall, devastatingly handsome guy you’ve had a thing for since you were nine years old?

Quirky, artistic and snarky Mattie Lowe does not lead a charmed life. Her mother is constantly belittling her on Skype. Mercedes, the school mean girl, has made it her personal mission to torment Mattie. But worst of all? Her stepsister Ella is the most beautiful, popular girl in school and is dating Mattie’s secret longtime crush, Jake Kingston.

Tired of being left out and done with waiting for her own stupid fairy godmother to show up, Mattie decides to change her life. She’ll start by running for senior class president against wildly popular Jake.

Ella can keep her Prince Annoying. Mattie’s going to rule the school.

And no one, not even a cute and suddenly flirty Jake, is going to stop her. [Goodreads]

Goodreads | Amazon


Review


One evening, while we were reading on the couch, Rebecca ask me what I was reading.  I told her.  She kinda snickered and said, “Do you ever wonder why you read so many girly books?”  And I honestly don’t know, but what I do know is that I’m glad I read them, ‘cause if I didn’t, I would never have come across this The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back!

This book is clichĂ© in all the right ways.  Imagine She’s All That, A Cinderella Story, and any other sappy, silly teen movie about the awkward-girl-get-popular-guy, put them in a blender, sift out the dumb parts and you’re left with something that might be slightly less awesome than this book!

I have started and stopped this review several times trying to put down on paper screen just how awesome this book is.  Y’all, it’s so much fun!  I love the characters, although wanted to slap Mattie around a few times for being such a teenage girl.

I really like Wilson’s take on the Cinderella story.  It was fresh and had an interesting voice.  In a story that is somewhat overdone, Wilson got it right.  I enjoyed every word of this story, it was entertaining and exactly what I needed.  It was light and easy to read, but had depth, was very creative, and written well!

Do yourself a favor and read this book!

Bending_The_Spine_Moon_RaterBending_The_Spine_Moon_RaterBending_The_Spine_Moon_RaterBending_The_Spine_Moon_Rater
4 Moons

Get to reading,
textspace_1360373602_c671aff2(3)

4 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this one and am definitely going to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really good. I'm always a sucker for those kind of movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! I love the concept, and the excerpt and review definitely make me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds so cool and cute! Want to read it and btw my husband reads all the same books as me so you are not alone LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!