Monday, August 15, 2011

Early Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)

Description


Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.


Elisa is the chosen one.


But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.


Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.
And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.
Most of the chosen do. (Goodreads)

Book Details

Title: The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Hardcover: 432 pages
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Release Date: September 20, 2011 
ISBN-10: 0062026488
ISBN-13: 978-0062026484
Source: NetGalley/ Publisher

Review


When I finished The Girl of Fire and Thorns I had to step away from it before writing the review. Not that I didn’t like it, I was so engrossed in the world that Rae Carson created while reading it everything else faded away.

Now if your thinking because there is a princess and this is a fantasy that this is some mild sweet little romance then I am here to tell you you are wrong. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is action packed. I read this in one day and I was so sad when it was over. Don’t get me wrong there is some romance, but there is also friendship, betrayal, and deceit.

Elisa is The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I have to say I loved her character from the beginning of the book. When Elisa is first introduced she is an overweight princess that pours over religious writings all day. But this is what she has been raised to do. Elisa does not stay this way for long. After a quick marriage to a bordering king(who I could not stand), then from the kings kingdom to being kidnaped, and then she moves on to help lead an army. All this from a girl who was a fat bookworm. Looking back Elisa’s character development never felt forced, she grew as a person from one event to the next.

This Girl of Fire and Thorns is made of awesome and you need to read it! I have happily learned that this will be a series and I am so excited to read more and get lost in this amazing world.

Happy Reading,
Rebecca 

4 moons 
4 moons: I loved it. It's reread worthy.

Recommended For

Teen and up: There is violence and blood, some kissing.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks pretty good! I'm going to add it to my wishlist. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @fairypenguin you should see if it's still at NetGalley. It is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! I love it when the women are strong. And I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this to read. Great review:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!