Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Review: Peeps by by Scott Westerfeld

Peeps

Description


A year ago, Cal Thompson was a college freshman more interested in meeting girls and partying than in attending biology class. Now, after a fateful encounter with a mysterious woman named Morgan, biology has become, literally, Cal’s life.
 
Cal was infected by a parasite that has a truly horrifying effect on its host. Cal himself is a carrier, unchanged by the parasite, but he’s infected the girlfriends he’s had since Morgan. All three have turned into the ravening ghouls Cal calls Peeps. The rest of us know them as vampires. It’s Cal’s job to hunt them down before they can create more of their kind. . . .
 
Bursting with the sharp intelligence and sly humor that are fast becoming his trademark, Scott Westerfeld’s novel is an utterly original take on an archetype of horror.(Goodreads)
 

Book Details

Genre: YA, Paranormal
Paperback: 312 pages
Publisher: Razorbill (September 7, 2006)
Published: September 7, 2006
ISBN-10: 1595140832
ISBN-13: 978-1595140838
Source: Self Purchase

Review


I don’t know if I am suppose to think Peeps is funny and creeptastick at the same time, but I do. It has this odd campy B-movie feel to it and I loved every minute of it. I mean come on guys when was the last time you read a vampire book that was all: “Don’t have sex you will die!” Well in Peeps vampirisms is an STD so chew on that for a while.

Cal, who is one of the rare few to only have the good side effects of Peeps, is put upon with the sad task of finding everyone he has unknowingly infected with the decease. The person Cal wans to find most is Morgan, the girl who infected him. When Cal finds Morgan, he finds out not everything he has been told is true. He also meets up  with Rachel and Lace who also have Peeps. From there the story breaks wide open.

Peeps can be super gross at times. It involves rats, cats, and every other chapter tells of a different parasite that adds to the creepfest. Then at the end to find out that the reason everyone is turning into these super strong parasites is so that they can actually… Yeah right. Y’all know I don’t do big spoilers. Read the book.

Peeps is so much fun. I loved Cal and Lace and all creepy crawlies in between.

Happy Reading,
Rebecca


4 moons
4 moons: I loved it. It's reread worthy.

Recommended For

Older Teens and up: Lots of language, violence, sexual situations.

Other Books in this Series

The Last Days (Peeps #2)

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd actually like this one or not. I've heard mixed reviews and I'm not a huge fan of Westerfeld's other books. I might try it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh jenny it's fun. If you want I'll send you my copy:) I've read it twice. And its been around the block with a few of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I love this book so much. I took it into my Biology class a couple years ago and read about the parasites to the class while we did a project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!