Monday, April 2, 2012

Manga Review: Kimi ni Todoke, Volume 1 by Karuho Shiina

Manga Monday was turned into a meme by the awesome Alison Can Read!
*I warn you now there may be spoilers…it’s hard with manga.
 

Title: Kimi Ni Todoke
Author: Karuho Shiina
Paperback: 216 pages
Publisher: VIZ Media LLC
Release Date: August 4, 2009
ISBN-10: 1421527553
ISBN-13: 978-1421527550
Goodreads   Amazon

R to L (Japanese Style). Sawako Kuronuma is the perfect heroine...for a horror movie. With her jet-black hair, sinister smile and silent demeanor, she's often mistaken for Sadako, the haunting character from Ringu. Unbeknownst to but a few, behind her scary façade is a very misunderstood teenager. Shy and pure of heart, she just wants to make friends. But when Kazehaya, the most popular boy in class, befriends her, she's sure to make more than just that--she's about to make some enemies too!(Goodreads)

Review

I had seen Kimi Ni Todoke reviewed at a few blogs I love and everyone that reviewed it seemed to really enjoy it, so I had to see what all the fuss was about.

I had never read contemporary manga before, but after reading the synopses I was sure I was going to love this. I mean the female lead  has no friends, because she looks to0 much like the scary girl from  “The Ring”…Manga makes anything possible:)

Kuronuma is so incredibly shy she hasn't given anyone the opportunity to see how great she is, so everyone at school continues to be afraid of her because of the way she looks and the way she acts. I really felt for Kuronuma because all she wants is some friends, but she really has no idea of how to reach out to people.

Kazehaya is Mr. Popular! Everyone wants to be his friend and most of the girls want to be even more. Kazehaya reaches out to Kuronuma and befriends her, after that all kinds of things start to happen. I want to say a lot more right here, but I am going to stop before I just tell you what happened.

I love how Karuho Shiina got all the awkwardness of high school right in the pages of this manga. I also found it refreshing that this was about creating friendships not getting a boyfriend. I really enjoyed Kimi Ni Todoke and I hope to read many more volumes.

Happy reading,
Signature

Awesome! Reread worthy.

Recommended For
Teen and up: I don’t remember anything anyone would get upset about. Totally fun, go read it:)   

4 comments:

  1. I love this manga! It also was made into a J-drama, which captured the essence of the manga really well, I think. Plus, I liked the guy they cast for Kazehaya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the first volume of this too. I don't feel emotionally attached yet, but I can see falling in love with it. I plan on reading vol. 2 in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!