Monday, April 9, 2012

Spine Changes…

I was having a conversation with another blogger about how I read all genres but there are only certain genres I review on the blog. And they asked me a question I pondered for a while:

“Why did you put yourself in a review box?”

I want out of the box.

When I started Bending The Spine about a year ago I got advice to brand my blog by sticking to certain genres. At the time I was only reading books that had some sort of paranormal, dystopian, or “other” factor to them. So…I went with that, hence the box:)

In a recent post I talked about adding horror as a genre for review on The Spine. I loved the responses I got from that post and it lead to this one. 

My blogiversary is coming up in a matter of day and I thought it would be the perfect time to implement changes to Bending The Spine. Yes, I will also have a giveaway!!! But first, as of now I am stepping away from the box. I will still likely review paranormal, science fiction, and dystopian genres the most as they are my favorites. But look forward to seeing other genres in the mix, like romance without the paranormal in front of it and even contemporary.

So many books so little time.   

Thanks so much to all of you for the awesome year of blogging I have had! I am so excited about this new year and everything it will bring.

Happy reading,
Signature

21 comments:

  1. I think this is a good idea. I think readers who aren't even interested in hearing about other genres are going to be few. If you tell me about a great book in a genre I don't typically read, i'll be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea. I think I was told to stick to certain genre's, and I usually do. I have read other books too though and posted the reviews on my blog. If an author sends me a book that isnt in my stated genre, I dont immediately delete the message. Sometimes, I even read the book. I usually try to apologize for the digression to my followers but it's my blog gosh darnit and I can review whatever I want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you - review whatever you want! I admit, I review more or less everything I read and put it on my blog, though sometimes I feel like I shouldn't, because the majority of what I read is YA/Paranormal Romance/Dystopian. It'd be great to see other bloggers branching out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a good idea! I read lots of contemps so I'll be looking forward to your reviews :) And happy blogoversary! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're totally right Rebecca and I really look forward to read your reviews on these other genres :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always reviewed a mix of genres on my blog. Some reviews are definitely more popular than others (YA) but I like to mix it up and it keeps blogging and reviewing fun for me.
    Hope it's the same way for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's a good idea. If it's a good book and you like it, who cares what genre it's in? I read just about every genre under the sun and while I prefer certain ones (horror, paranormal, etc.) that doesn't mean I won't happily read a good historical fiction novel or even a romance if someone recommended it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I started out in the review box too. Urban fantasy and paranormal romance. Problem is, sometimes I want to read contemporary romance or historical novels or my fiance's comic collection...So, screw it. I'm reviewing everything. Maybe I'll get to introduce people to new and different things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, It's awesome to show someone a book that was never even on their radar!

      Delete
  9. Change is hard, but good. I love reading reviews that cover all sorts of genres. It's a great way to broaden not only your horizons, but your readers' horizons too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a mixed genre reader, and review all of them in one place. I give you two thumbs up on this!

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! I'm glad. No one should be in a box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I review everything and granted it helps to be in a box for publishers but I like reviewing it all and so I am really an every genre practically blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with your changes! I read every genre, with very few exceptions, and many times thought I needed to be more in a box. Thanks for your enlightenment, I'll continue with what I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!