Thursday, January 31, 2013

Movie Review: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters





Release Date: January 25, 2013
Rated: R
Length: 88 Minutes

In this spin on the fairy tale, Hansel & Gretel are now bounty hunters who track and kill witches all over the world. As the fabled Blood Moon approaches, the siblings encounter a new form of evil that might hold a secret to their past. (IMDb)









Trailer 




Review


I have been excited about seeing Hansel and Gretel since I saw the first trailer months ago. I love fairy tale remakes and this version of Hansel and Gretel looked like it was going to be action packed.

What I liked…

The movie starts out much like the original tale. Hansel and Gretel are taken into the woods and left to fend for themselves. When they came to the candy house I have to say I was impressed that it looked both whimsically sweet and incredibly creepy at the same time. In fact throughout the movie the scenes visually always seemed to keep up with the horror of the tale.

The action was awesome. Each sequence keeping me at the edge of my seat. Yes, the weapons that are used are way out there for the time they are in. Having said that all the guns and other weapons really added to the story and made it more fun.

I liked that Hansel and Gretel where a brother and sister who loved each other and would do anything to keep the other safe. It really came across that these two have only had the other to depend on for a long time.

What had scratching my head…

There where a few things I would have liked more info on. (Yeah, I know it’s a movie and it can only be so long) First, Hansel had some kind of condition that made him have to inject himself with some kind of medicine every hour. I just didn’t think this added to the story and there were times when Hansel was knocked out for a long periods of time and he didn’t die without the shot???

Second, I would have liked the witches to be more fleshed out. Don’t get me wrong, visually they where scary and I thought overall the main dark witch was a very good villain. At the same time I was left with a lot of questions: How does someone become an evil witch or are they born with no choice. I also have no idea why they always have to eat children, are children more nutritious than adults, or is it the whole innocent thing? If it is the later I am happy I never have to worry about any witches eating my childrenWinking smile

Would you like it?

I think if you enjoy action movies mixed with paranormal elements you will enjoy this. Think Van Helsing! Also if you enjoy reading urban fantasy like me you will probably have fun with this one.

Happy Watching!
Signature         

Recommended For

Older teen and up: For lots of language, nudity, violence, and gore.

5 comments:

  1. Nice review! I liked this movie as well, but can admit to seeing some cheesiness to it!

    I kind of thought Hansel had to take the shots because it was like diabetes? He said when he was the kid the witch made him eat too much candy and that he had to take the shot after so many hours or whatever or else he'd die. So yeah, I wasn't 100% clear on that either, but like I said I thought maybe it was like diabetes, although I am not 100% on that either--like if they have to take shots like he did.

    I didn't even think about the weaponry really! I thought it was awesome and after you said it, it reminded me of Van Helsing--looooved that movie!

    But yeah, overall I thought the movie was pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like these type of movies pull off cheesiness well. LOL

      Delete
    2. Yep it was a reference to diabetes. I saw a youtube video of the director confirming it with an Aussie journalist. Kind of made me dislike him, to be honest. He came over as such an obnoxious person. The guy basically said originally he want to give Gretel an eat disorder and have her throw up every time she went to kill the witch! But that was too much, so he "just" gave Hansel diabetes!

      All I could think was, yeah that's really nice of you. Mocking people with type 1 diabetes who have to inject insulin daily (through no fault of their own)is funny. But hey at least you didn't go there with eating disorders. That make you about half an asshole, congratulations.

      The film seems like mindless fun, and it's not a documentary. But there was just something about the way that the director guy seemed way too pleased with himself over that joke which put me off seeing it.Also my best friends 8 year old has type 1 diabetes and it just seemed off to trivialize diabetes.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking I'm going to have to see this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!