Friday, November 29, 2013

Review: Introductions (The Academy #1) by C.L. Stone

Introductions (The Academy, #1)
Introductions
C.L. Stone
Series: The Academy
Print Length: 276 pages
Publisher: Arcato Publishing
Release Date: December 23, 2012

With an agoraphobic mother and a barely-there father, Sang abhors the isolation keeping her in the shadows. The only thing Sang craves is a fresh start and to be accepted as ordinary by her peers, because for her being different meant being cast out alone.

When her family moves to a new school district, Sang infiltrates a group of boys nearly perfect in every way. Grateful for an influence outside of her parents’ negativity, she quickly bonds with the boys, hoping to blend in and learn from them what it means to have a natural relationship with friends.

Only the boys have secrets of their own and they’ll do anything to keep her safe from the knowledge of the mysterious Academy that they've sworn allegiance to. Bit by bit, Sang discovers that her friends are far from the normalcy she expected. Will her loyalty change when she's forced to remain in the dark, or will she accept that she's traded one house of secrets for another?

Meet Kota, Victor, Silas, Nathan, Gabriel, Luke and North in a story about differences and loyalty, truth and mystery, friendships and heart-throbbing intimacy.

The Academy, ever vigilant.


Review

I never would have thought I could sit down and enjoy a book dedicated to introducing characters in series. I had seen Introductions by C.L. Stone around on numerous Stacking The Shelves post for some time as it is a Kindle Freebie for now, so I decided to check it out. I had no Idea what The Academy series was about but sometimes it’s good to go into a book blind. I was taken by surprise at how much fun I had meeting these characters and just how fast I went through each chapter.

Introductions takes place over the course of the few days before school begins. As a lot of you know I am a big fan of YA manga and anime. Introductions has that manga/anime story line feel… A girl who has no support system, and no friends is doing her best to get through life with her head up. Then enters this group of awesome people (In this case seven hot guys) who decide they are going to become amazing friends to this weakling girl and protect her from whatever bad in the world they can. (Fruits Basket anyone???) I know it doesn’t sound great, but it was fun and for some reason this formula worked for me in Introductions.

Sang, is living in a very abusive home. I loved how even though Sang has been oppressed so much through her life she still has this openness about her and goes into situations whole heartedly. She is a little too naïve acting for my taste but I really like her character as a whole.

Since Introductions only covers the course of a few days for these characters I ended up with more questions about the plot than answers. I want to know what all the boys Sang has befriended are really hiding. I want to know why they are all so obsessed with keeping Sang safe. I really want to know what the Academy is and why all seven guys have been a part of it for such a long time.

As you can tell my interest is still fully in this story thankfully for me there are three other books for me to read now. Reading this first book was like opening a bag of chips and trying to eat just a few. I just can’t do it! I’m about to go grab the other books now and hope that C.L. Stone writes more fast because I am fully intrigued.

Happy Reading,
Signature    

3.5 Moons: While I think some will want more of a plot this worked for me and reminded me of reading the first volume in a fun manga.

Other Books in this Series
First Days (The Academy, #2)Friends vs. Family (The Academy, #3)Forgiveness and Permission (The Academy #4)

4 comments:

  1. This look s like fun love the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh this sounds different and surprisingly interesting. It does sound like a first book in a series but at least no waiting 13 months for the next one! >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I just found out the author has at least 20 more books planed though... Hope I can stick with it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comment love!