Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge


Bending_the_Spine_MeMe_WW


"Waiting On Wednesday” is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at “Breaking the Spine”, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

What I’m Waiting On

Cruel Beauty

Graceling meets Beauty and the Beast in this sweeping fantasy about one girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and the monster who gets in her way-by stealing her heart.

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.

Expected Release: January 28, 2014


What I’m Thinking

I have talked a million times on the blog about how I LOVE fairy tale retellings. Beauty by by Robin McKinley is one of my favorite books of all time. I honestly have no clue how many times I’ve read it. The description above says this is like Beauty and the Beast and Graceling (which I loved) put together. I’m pretty sure I will really enjoy this.


Other News

I am giving away signed copies of Unremembered and Unforgotten by Jessica Brody, Shadow and Bone, and Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo, Enclave, Outpost, and Horde by Ann Aguirre, and  Crewel, and Altered by Gennifer Albin. To enter go to the Fierce Reads post.


Is Cruel Beauty on your to read list?
What books are you wanting this week?
Signature

19 comments:

  1. I have Graceling in my TBR pile still, but I'm a sucker for fairytale retellings. I hadn't heard of this one, but now I'll have to check it out.

    Here's my WOW pick.

    Kimberly
    Wit and Sin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOO super excited to read this!! I love Beauty & the Beast, and I adooored Graceling, so this one just sounds perfect. Great pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so cannot wait for this one! Keep trying to request it on Edelweiss, but I swear they don't like me! I hardly ever get approved by them. Netgalley is nicer to me! :)

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on NG or Edelweiss much lately, but I did just request this yesterday. I'll have to wait and see what happens. Sorry your having a hard time being approved. That always sucks.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also looking forward to this book! Like you, I loved Graceling and fairy tale retellings. Hope we both enjoy it!

    Chel @ The Procrastinator's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm waiting on this one as well! The cover looks great, right?

    Take a look at my WoW post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the cover! I think the girl looks a little too CGI though.

      Delete
  7. Ohh this sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing your pick!

    my WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/come-to-me-quietly/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pick! I requested this from Edelweiss and got approved so I can't wait to start it! Robin McKinley's Beauty is one of my favorite books too :)

    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm so excited for this! I love retellings of Beauty & the Beast too. I was lucky enough to get a e-arc Edelweiss, and I can't wait to start! Thanks for sharing & stopping by Bookmunchies (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great! And what a cool cover; I'm loving that it looks both maze- and rose-like :)
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh this looks interesting, i love fairytale retellings so am definitely going to be checking this one out! Thank you :)

    Sanna @ Fanciful Fictions

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have yiu read of beast and beauty it was awesome! I want this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it. But, I did see your review a few weeks back. It looks like I would like it:)

      Delete
  13. I love fairytale retellings, but I just don't feel this one. Thanks for sharing though :)
    Waiting on Wednesday || SIGNED Icons and Beautiful Creatures Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love fairytale retellings as well! Hope you get to read this one soon!! :)

    (Also, just added you on bloglovin'!)

    - Jess @ Reading Nook Reviews - My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love a great fairytale and Beauty and The Beast is one of those great tales. Great pick. Check out my WoW here: http://meandu-justthinking.blogspot.ca/2013/11/waiting-on-wednesday-8staying-strong.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!