Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review: Reached by Ally Condie

Reached (Matched, #3)


Reached
Ally Condie
Series: Matched (Book 3)
Paperback: 520 pages
Publisher: Speak

After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.


Matched (Matched, #1)Crossed (Matched, #2)
{Click the covers to see my reviews of the first two installments}

Review

Ok, y’all.  I really didn’t enjoy the first two-thirds of the Matched Trilogy.  And I honestly didn’t think I would enjoy the third.  But, I have this compulsive need for closure.  So, I borrowed Reached from the library and got to it.  I definitely know myself very good.  I didn’t like this one any better than the others.  Here’s why:

  • Love triangles are tired.
  • Cassia didn’t die.  She’s frankly the most annoying main character I’ve have ever read.
  • The Pilot is instantly a creep.  He uses people, plays on their emotions for his own gain.  Not exactly the idealistic leader people have been dreaming of for decades.
  • Condie kills off some major characters.  Ones I liked a ton better than Cassia.  Cassia should have died in their place.  Over and over again.
  • There seemed to be a major disparity between the characters in the beginning to now. 
  • When the book starts, I felt like I missed something major, like I didn’t have all the backstory.
  • There are so many times where I face-palmed (or would have if I hadn’t been driving) because they were just so unbelievably stupid! 
  • And because of this, there was so much unnecessary story I got bored.  And parts that had absolutely no reason for being there—they didn’t move the plot along at all.

I did like the growth that Condie gave Xander.  I like that he found a place and a purpose.  That he found himself and was allowed to be that person.

But that’s about all I liked about Reached.

Needless to say, I’m sure there are people out there who will read this and be all offended by my rant.  But this is how I feel.  I’ve had the same reaction to Reached that I had when I finished reading Mockingjay—sheer and utter disbelief.  And, in spite of everything, disappointment.

Bending_The_Spine_Moon_Rater
1 Moon: Reach for a different book on the shelf.

textspace_1360373602_c671aff2(3)

3 comments:

  1. OK, now that I know how you feel about this series I want to read it. And I had no desire to read it before I read your reviews. I just want to see my own girl perspective;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a few good reviews about this series so I picked up the first book, it started off good enough and then a quarter into the book it just dragged on forever with me just waiting for something, anything, to happen. Yes, things happened, but they didn't interest me. I haven't read the last two books yet but I'm starting to question if I even want to read them. I'm worried they'll end up being like the first book which was a disappointment. I think for now I'll continue to reach for a different book. Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alyn--Thanks for commenting! I'm glad I'm not the only on disappointed! The covers are pretty, though!

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comment love!