Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: The Thorn and the Blossom: A Two-Sided Love Story by Theodora Goss

The Thorn and the Blossom: A Two-Sided Love Story

Description

One enchanting romance. Two lovers keeping secrets. And a uniquely crafted book that binds their stories forever.

When Evelyn Morgan walked into the village bookstore, she didn’t know she would meet the love of her life. When Brendan Thorne handed her a medieval romance, he didn’t know it would change the course of his future. It was almost as if they were the cursed lovers in the old book itself . . .


The Thorn and the Blossom is a remarkable literary artifact: You can open the book in either direction to decide whether you’ll first read Brendan’s, or Evelyn’s account of the mysterious love affair. Choose a side, read it like a regular novel—and when you get to the end, you’ll find yourself at a whole new beginning. (Goodreads)

Book Details

Title: The Thorn and the Blossom
Author: Theodora Goss
Hardcover: 82 pages
Publisher: Quirk Books
Release Date: January 17, 2012
ISBN-10: 159474551X
ISBN-13: 978-1594745515
Source: Publisher

Review

When I was contacted to review The Thorn and the Blossom the design and description made me say "yes" immediately. So often I will read one POV in a book and wonder what the other main character is thinking. I had never read an accordion-bound book before, it was a bit tricky to figure out how to hold at first. But, I like the way Evelyn and Brendan’s covers are done. The slipcover that The Thorn and the Blossom is classically beautiful.

I started with Evelyn’s side of the story. I enjoyed Evelyn’s character, she did her best to take control of her life and become who she wanted even when it went against her parents wishes. When I finished Evelyn’s side I let myself absorb it for a day before flipping over to Brendan’s side. I didn’t expect to like Brendan as much, but ended up liking him more. Evelyn and Brendan’s lives follow closely to a  fairy tale that Brendan tells Evelyn. Are they actually a part of the story? That is something you have to decide for yourself.

I enjoyed The Thorn and the Blossom very much. Goss did an amazing job of bringing Cornwall alive in my mind, I loved her style of writing. I couldn’t believe after reading it that it was only 82 pages. The story is rich the setting is lush and I plan on visiting again.

Happy Reading,
Signature

Awesome! Reread worthy.

Recommended For
Older Teen: There is nongraphic sex, kissing.

1 comment:

  1. Love this cover. This is the kind of book I'd just throw myself into and hope for the best without even reading the back blurb, I think. It's not usual that the author managed to tell such a compelling story in such a short novel though. But your words definitely make me want to check this out. Even if it's just because I would love to read an accordion book and because I love fairy tales!

    Thanks for the review!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!