Sunday, April 21, 2013

Children’s Review: Animal Grossapedia by Melissa Stewart

Animal Grossapedia

Animal Grossapedia
Melissa Stewart
Paperback: 112 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Paperbacks
Release Date: October 1, 2012
ISBN-10: 0545433487
ISBN-13: 978-0545433488
Source: Birthday present
Goodreads   Amazon

Think all animals are cute and cuddly? Read this book to discover just how disgusting they can really be!

There are plenty of books out there that focus on "gross" substances in the human body, but many animals use these same substances in ways that will surprise and fascinate kids! Did you know that Komodo dragons use their saliva to poison their prey, but mice use their saliva to heal their wounds? Could you guess that vomit is used by the sea cucumber to startle enemies and also by bees to make honey? Young readers will walk away grossed out and with an understanding of how different animals use spit, vomit, slime, poop, urine, and blood to survive.

What I thought about it

I got Animal Grossapedia for my birthday from my Grandma, I’m eight at last. When I pulled this book out of the gift bag I thought awesomeness! I knew I would love it because I LOVE learning animal facts and learning the gross animal facts looked like fun.

The cool thing about this book is…

Animal Grossapedia has lots of pictures that goes along with all the facts about the animals. I also liked that I could look up the different animals in the front of the book and go right to them.

Some of the things I learned…

There are actually Vampire birds called, Vampire Finches they live on the Galapagos island and actually eat blood. That’s creepy and cool! I have always known what Mosquitoes are but I didn’t know their wings beat 600 times a second, or that after they fill up on blood the back of their body turns red. Another fact I learned was a spider’s blood is blue not red, because they have different proteins than us.

Would I recommend other kids read this book?

Yes! kids that like learning about animals, or just like hearing gross stuff will like this just as much as I did.

Have fun reading,
coollogo_com-146983415
 
4 Moons: I enjoyed learning about all these animals
 
Reviewer
riah
Come back next Sunday for more kids reviews from an eight year old.





3 comments:

  1. My little girl is obsessed with animals and wants to be a vet when she grows up. This is the perfect book for her. Ordering it now. Thanks for another great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure will read this book to my kids. Nice review

    http://khairusworld.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should give this to my niece, she would like it I think!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!